Sunday 26 April 2009

The unexpected


On Tuesday, 14th April, I left home and was bound for Penang. My intention was to obtain a reference letter from my former lecturer, En Mydin M. Abdul Kader. This reference letter was a requirement in order for me to apply for a place in a British university so as to further my tertiary studies.

Initially, I decided to drive, as in Penang, one is required to drive to reach point B from point A. But then, mother was quite worried about the unpredictable weather, so she told me to take the train instead.

And so, I took the night train which would arrive at Butterworth station a.k.a. The Jetty at around 4.30 in the morning. Upon arrival, my old companion, Yusfizal was there to greet me...well, half-an-hour later actually. He took me for breakfast at Bagan. It was raining heavily early that morning, and I was starting to develop coughs.

After breakfast, we went to Kg. Pertama, where i used to live, and performed Subuh prayers at Masjid Batu. After having prayed, we went to my old home at the Permatang Nibong Road. There, I met my fellow companions. I stayed there for about 40 minutes, and finally headed to my aunt's in Bandar Perda.

I slept throughout the morning, and part of the afternoon, to compensate for the sleepless night I had on the train. I started to cough badly. That evening, I went to Taman Arowana just outside Permatang Pauh town, to visit my companions who were residing at the Bahrul Ulum Religious School (private). Upon returning home, I started to develop a fever.

At 1 in the morning, I started to lose my senses as my body temperature increased sharply. I intended to go to the Seberang Perai Hospital for medical checkup, but everyone else has gone to sleep, and I cannot drive in a concious manner. So, I had to wait till morning.

The next morning, my head felt so heavy I can't get off my bed. Even if I did, I started to fall. I went to the doctor's in Padang Lallang. The doctor told me that my temperature was extremely high. I was given medication, and was in bed the whole day.

The next day, I felt a little better, though still ill and sweating. I decided to take this chance to settle my reference letter. Alhamdulillah, it was settled by 6 that day.

The next day (Saturday), I went to the Bukit Mertajam station to buy a ticket back home. I got myself a ticket for that night. After having bought the ticket, my cousin and I went to George Town to have lunch at Hameediyah's. During the journey, the car's a/cond system broke down. So, we had to lower all the windows. With myself not fully recovered from fever, my eyes started to go hot. That was nothing.

On the way back, there was a massive traffic congestion. At Sg. Pinang Road, the car's engine started to heat up. So, I told my cousin to pull over by the side whilst I have a look at the engine. Luckily, we were in my cousin's neighbourhood/hometown. So, there were relatives...and family mechanics nearby. So, I made some temporary adjustment, and headed for the workshop. With the afternoon heat, plus the heat from the engine, and the fact that the a/cond was out, I started to feel uncomfortable.

Upon reaching home, my body temperature shot up again. I called mother, and she told me to remain where I am until my fever has completely gone. It turned out that, considering my health condition and seating availability, I can only return on Thursday the following week. So, I took the oppurtunity to settle any outstanding matters in Penang, even took the time to visit the remaining brothers/sisters-in-faith.

Early Thursday morning, the 23rd, I left Bukit Mertajam, as I headed for home. Throughout my journey, I looked at the sceneries/villages throughout the journey to KL Sentral. I recalled having last witnessed the sceneries in broad daylight ten years ago. My, time has surely passed. Before you know it, you are already growing, and in the midst of entering manhood....

No comments: