Wednesday 18 February 2009

What Do You Fear?

During one of my training sessions, we were asked of our fears. The general answers were hydrophobia, claustrophobia, and multiple phobias. Not to mention about God and death. My answer however was death... and fear itself.

However, it came to me recently that apart from the fears I mentioned, I found out about another fear, one that not many will tend to realise, even in full conciousness.

What fear is that? It is...

"To be successful beyond control"
("Mencapai kejayaan melampaui kawalan diri")

What does it mean?

It means that when you achieve a certain success, you come to a point where you start to lose control of yourself; you tend to forget those around you, lose humbleness, be arrogant, snobbish etc..

Alhamdulillah, Allah gifted me with the ability to master the English language; verbally and on-paper. This was acknowledged so by the trainers who made assessments on our presentations.

However, despite the fact that I was openly praised at certain times, I tend to be fearful every time I was complemented.

I feared that I would lose my identity, start acting high-and-mighty, and look down upon others who are less fortunate than me. To prevent this, I made use of Allah's 'gift', and used it to help and assist others.

Not only the abilities in the form of understanding, but even posts in societies can be a test on its successors.

I've heard of people of whom when they were told that they are next-in-line to hold certain posts, they start to daydream and wander off into Cloud 9. I do not deny the fact that I was possessed by this situation. But, when I came out of it, I felt so sick.

So, friends. Bear in mind that not only failure is a test from Allah, success can also act as a test, in which man will be tested whether he can remain humble, or go nuts.

Remember! No matter how hard you try to achieve something, by the end of the day, it is He who grants it to you. As how Allah rewards you with something, He has the power to repossess it from you.

And so, never be selfish with whatever it is that you bear. Be humble, and use it to benefit yourself and others.

No comments: