Thursday 5 March 2009

Furthering my studies

Eversince January this year, despite going out to seek employment experiences, I've been making plans to further my studies. Currently, I'm an unofficial diploma graduate of Electrical Engineering (Instrumentation) [considered official once I've I received my scroll].

Recently, I've been enquiring on universities in Australia and United Kingdom. From what I've obtained, I paid special interests in these universities:

(United Kingdom)
1. University of Sheffield
2. University of Newcastle
3. University College London (formerly attended by father)
4. University of Portsmouth
5. University of Southampton
6. University of Reading (formerly attended by mother)


(Australia)
1. RMIT University
2. University of Melbourne
3. University of New South Wales (UNSW)
4. University of Newcastle (not to be confused with Newcastle-upon-Tyne of England)
5. University of Adelaide

When it comes to insisting on foreign studies, I faced two types of struggles that somehow paralysed me from holding on to my dreams;

The first struggle is that of 'busybodies'. These group of people had the nerve to ask me of my financial strength. Ask me anything, but NEVER ask me of family financials! It's personal.

It is something I am not willing to share, and something that I can not afford to answer.

The second struggle occurred a few months previously. I was told to forget all those 'nonsense', return to the Shah Alam campus and rejoin the religious society I previously participated as one of the administrators.

This statement struck me deep.

Who are you to tell me to forget all that I ever dreamt of and worked for??? Why must I leave what I've begun, and fulfill the 'lust' of someone else? There are hundreds more potential enough to take over and initiate where I left off. People come and go. Live with it. Let the younger generations take lead.

Why I never wanted to return to UiTM Shah Alam, you say? Well, I've lived there for 3 years, been briught up in that locality for 20+ years. Furthermore, having spent one year in Penang, I experienced the sweetness of student life, and ukhuwwah among brothers and sisters of faith. Therefore, I am hoping...should my plans fail, Penang will re-open its degree courses, and I can remain in Penang.

Anyhow, every dream hoping to be achieved is accompanied by struggles. And, it is these struggles that make success taste so sweet. You'll have to suffer bitterness before you encounter sweetness.

Pure sweetness is better than artificial sweetness...if you get what I mean :).

Besides, I've nothing to rush for. Furthermore, I'm not bethrothed to anyone, officially or unofficially. So, no need to rush. Live life slowly...until the right moment comes, and the right person approacheth. As Paul Simon said:

"Slow down. You're moving too fast. You've got to make the morning last..."
[SIMON & GARFUNKEL; The 59th Street Bridge Song]

Hopefully, I am able to fulfill my dreams...insyaAllah...

No comments: