Tuesday 25 August 2009

Ramadhan in Melbourne - How I Go About My Day

My last Ramadhan spent outside of Malaysia was about 15 years ago, back in England. However, during those years being in England, I was still a child, knowing nothing about the obligations of fasting upon Muslims.

This Ramadhan, will actually be my second experience spending it outside of Malaysia...down Melbourne way, and the first time going through it with a matured understanding.

So far, there's not much difference than to that of fasting in Malaysia. Only that the southern hemisphere is experiencing winter for the moment, so the daytime is short.

On average, my day begins by waking up at 4am in the morning, and having my sahur in the kitchen. The mornings are cold and chilly, so it would usually take sometime if I was to heat my food on the stove.

At around 5.15 to 5.30, Subh would emerge, and I would perform my prayer. What happens after that would usually be various; either wash the dishes if I didn't have time to do it before praying, checking incoming e-mails on the internet, or sleep for another hour or so depending on last night's activities.

If my lecture starts at 9, I would catch the 7.59 from Westona Station, or the 9.59 if it was to start at 11. Classes usually end for the day at around 1pm. I would go and pray in the University musolla before walking back to Footscray Station...or taking the bus if it is within 5 minutes of waiting.

Upon reaching Footscray town, I would head straight into the station. If I have some groceries to do, I'd stop over at Footscray Market for vegetables and fruits, and one of the two Halal butchery for meat. If I have to buy other groceries, I would take the 411 or 412 bus to Altona Gate Shopping Centre on my way back home, which houses the Safeway supermarket. Usually, I'd prefer Safeway/Woolworths rather than Coles, eventhough Coles is available in Altona.

Once I've reached home, I'd pray 'Asr, and then start smoking the kitchen to prepare a meal for breaking fast later on.

After having broken fast, prayed etc., I would leave home and head for the station to catch the 6.37, or 6.57 train to Newport, some 10 minutes away.

There's a mosque adjacent to the Newport station where I would perform Tarawih prayers. This is an Arabian mosque, hence all forms of announcements are mostly being made in Arabic.

I'm not sure if their khutbah is in Arabic or English, because I've yet to perform Friday prayers there, as I usually perform so at Victoria University.

Here, Tarawih is only performed up to 8 rakaats. More than that, do it at home. After 4 rakaats, the congregation would pause from prayers, and give way to a brief tazkirah or short sermon...similar to what is practised at Masjid Batu in Permatang Pauh, Penang.

It's a beautiful experience; Muslims from all walks of life, from different races lining up under one roof to worship the One true God.

After that, I would return home, recite the Quran, prepare some meal for sahur, recap on any outstanding academic matters, and jump into bed.

No comments: