Monday 3 August 2009

Settling Down in Melbourne

A day after arriving in Melbourne, I transferred to the Student Village residences in Maribyrnong, some 10-15 minutes journey by bus or tram to the Footscray Park campus. This was only meant to be a temporary residence, as I've yet to find a permanent one.

I need not mention about the fees shock that I received upon checking in. However, after settling the registration processes, I was brought to my unit; a room in a two-bedroom unit. The room was simple; one bed, one study desk and chair, one built-in wardrobe, one book shelf, and a sitting chair.

However, a display in the lounge adjoining both rooms with the toilet and exit somewhat shocked the hell out of me. I was a pyramid stack of beer cans and a few beer and gin bottles. It immediately struck me that my unit-mate was a heavy drinker!!!

However, I was relieved that my stay in this unit, particularly the Village was only temporary. Hence, I would have to live with the stench of frsh liquor every now and then.

The first couple of nights were a bit tough for me. There were no bedlinen and pillows provided, so I had to provide myself with a make-shift for the two; my sleeping bag that I bought from home became my linen cum blanket, and my thick winter jacket (of which I bought in Alexandria, Eypt in late 2002) became my pillow.

At the same time, the heater in my room was not functioning, so I had to cuddle up as warm as possible during the night, and had the windows tightly shut (usually I'd slacken it a little so as to let fresh air in).

The first week, I had no choice but to eat out. Eventhough there was a communal kitchen, I do not have the cooking materials; pan, knife, and the basic groceries (e.g. salt, pepper, onion, garlic etc.).

Usually I would buy either kebab, briyani, or fish & chips. Eventhough these come between $5.00 to $7.00 per serving, they are served in large portions, enough to make you last the whole day. Sometimes I would buy a 6-inch vegetarian sub at Subway for $3.00.

On occasions, I would just make my own sandwich; usually just with butter or chocolate spread. But, this week I can substitute it with salami and lettuce, as I have the necessary items to store food in the communal fridge.

Whenever buying processed food items at the supermarket or wet market, I have to inspect the ingredients. Eventhough they are but harmless crisps, sauces, breads or any whatnots, it is the substances that are being used, especially the gelatines and emulsifiers that is of concern. How do I detect this? These substances have a standard code (e.g. for non-halal substances; E471, E120, E491, 160A, 471). However, if it is mentioned that they are soy or plant-based, then it is OK.

Alhamdulillah, Victoria University gave me a Muslim Student Guide Book which contains a list of mosques, restaurants, and butcheries throughout Melbourne and its surrounding suburbans. Eventhough I am familiar with the outlets and mosques in the City, the book really helped a lot when I am in an unfamiliar suburban; one that I've never ventured when I came here in 2007.

Come to think of it, it is quite troublesome when it comes to having to inspect every food item prior to purchasing, or travel halfway across town jus to get Halal meat. But then, if we as Muslims do not face these kind of hardship, truly we will never appreciate life with the deepest of appreciation.



















No comments: