Sunday 2 November 2008

The day I indulged myself in politics...practically

During my school years, I wore a songkok to school. Initially, it was a sign of protest to Mr. Ang Tun Seng, who was then the disciplinary teacher for the afternoon period. He disallowed the wearing of the songkok as it was not listed in the school's dressing code. The year was 2000.

In 2003, I was appointed president of the Islamic Society. At the same time, we had a new headmistress, Pn. Norhayati Alias, whom I was close with 'til she was transferred to the Ministry. My juniors (anak buah) in the afternoon period complained to me of the neverending peril of Ang Tun Seng and his songkok issue. Seeing the oppurtunity of the current position I was currently in, I forwarded this matter to the headmistress for further actions.

A couple of weeks later, I was informed that the headmistress has warned all teachers and staffs not to restrict students from wearing the songkok at any given time.

A junior of mine told me shortly, that "we have won the battle". To me, the battle may have proved successive, but the war is yet to cease, as I found out later throughout the respected year.

I soon learnt that the Islamic Society is not just about organizing ceramahs, religious-based activities. It is also about performing da'wah upon others. In those days, organizing an event was easy, as the headmistress pays special attention to the society.

But that was short-lived, as she was transferred to the Ministry 8 months after she was appointed headmistress. Rumour has it that the transfer was planned by certain staffs, since, compared to previous headmistresses, she was a strict and firm one, and not one of the staffs are to play-the-fool while she's in charge.

I'll remember her as the one person whom I dearly respect.

My career does not end there. In late 2005, I was appointed the first chairman of the Engineering Division Secretariat of the newly established Persatuan Mahasiswa Hadhari (PMH), a religious-based society in UiTM Shah Alam. I was re-appointed the same post in early 2007, only that the secretariat has been renamed to Secretariat of The Science & Technology Division.

Throughout the period, I still indulged myself in da'wah activities, only that my method of performing so has been upgraded from the previous experiences obtained during my days in the Islamic Society, in which I learnt how to know and understand the mentality of those who are my targets, and organize something in a way that they are able to accept mostly, if not fully.

Alhamdulillah, they proved to be a success, though I do not deny that there were times when things went wrong. But from it, I learnt to be calm, as those under my guidance would look up upon me for solutions. I had experiences being under someone in certain activities. And, dear me, the tantrums he would be in, not to mention us being the victims of those that we did not commit.

And, it is from these experiences, that I taught myself not to inherit such attitudes, as I know how much it would hurt those under my guidance. My intention was for them to gain knowledge and experience, not as my punching bag.

Today, I am a retiree, or veteran as some of my friends describe me as. Most of the time, I would sit alone in my own world planning for the future, while people would come to me seeking my opinion regarding the things I have performed in the past that are about to be performed.

Yet, I do not deny, at times I would be called upon, to participate myself as a committee member of certain activities.

Truly knowledge does not come to one ready-to-use. They come in forms of experiences, for us to mould and shape, to be used whenever and wherever possible, for the benefit of us and the benefit of others.

One of the factors that man is respected for, is his knowledge and experience. Not to say that I am one of them, of course. Besides, I remain in cognito of whatever it is that I possess within me, be it good or bad, beneficial or otherwise.

No comments: